This delicious Chicken Rollatini recipe is perfect for meal prepping and special occasions! Tender chicken coated in a crunchy breading and stuffed with flavorful pepperoni and melty mozzarella will impress your guests every time.
What is Chicken Rollatini?
Chicken Rollatini is a dish where chicken cutlets are rolled up with some sort of filling, then breaded and baked for a juicy and crispy meal. In this recipe, we stuff thin chicken breasts with kid-friendly pepperoni and mozzarella for a pizza-inspired twist! This recipe is impressive enough for company but simple enough for picky eaters, and it can even be made gluten free and low carb. It’s easy to prepare ahead of time for a hearty, flavorful dinner that everyone will rave over!
Chicken Rollatini Ingredients
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this baked chicken recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card near the bottom of the page.
- Chicken Breast – Skinless, boneless. Each one will be sliced in half and pounded thin, so don’t worry too much if yours are different sizes and shapes. Boneless, skinless thighs could be probably used, but they are smaller and would likely be done quicker.
- Pepperoni – Large, thin deli slices. These are ideal because of their size and fat content. Most popular pizza-sized pepperoni brands can be very greasy, so it’s best to go with the thinner, larger deli slices.
- Mozzarella – Large, thin deli slices. This should be like Sargento sandwich slices, NOT fresh whole milk mozzarella. Fresh mozzarella has too much moisture and will become a watery mess, but the sandwich sliced mozzarella melts beautifully in the chicken.
- Breadcrumbs, Eggs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, Salt, and Pepper – This seasoned mix creates a deliciously crispy breading! Gluten free breadcrumbs make this celiac safe, or you can replace breadcrumbs with ground pork rinds for a keto, low-carb, and gluten-free option!
How to Make Chicken Rollatini
This recipe does have multiple steps, but I’ve got photos to walk you through each part of the process! Use this step-by-step guide to make this baked chicken recipe.
Lay your chicken breasts flat on a cutting board, then cut in half horizontally (parallel to the cutting board). Cut the chicken as though you are butterflying it, but slice all the way through to create two thinner pieces from each breast. Place plastic wrap over the chicken, then beat with a meat mallet until chicken is just 1/4″ thick.
Assemble & chill
Cut 4 12″x12″ squares of plastic wrap, placing a piece of chicken on each one. Top each piece of chicken with two pepperoni slices and one slice of cheese. Roll the chicken breast very tightly, securing in plastic wrap. Repeat until all chicken has been rolled. Place chicken bundles in the fridge and chill for 1 hour (this helps them hold their shape and cook evenly later).
Bread & chill
While chicken is chilling, set up two breading stations. In one shallow bowl, beat eggs and set aside. In the second bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Unwrap the chicken and roll each bundle in the eggs, then roll in the breading. Make sure chicken is coated very well and place on a plate or baking sheet. Once all bundles are covered in breading, freeze for 15 minutes while the oven preheats to 400 degrees F. This chilling time helps ensure the breading stays on the chicken.
Once the oven has preheated, transfer the chicken to a greased, oven-safe dish and spray the chicken roll ups with oil (helps develop a beautiful golden brown color). Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center of the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F as measured by a meat thermometer.
This pepperoni stuffed Chicken Rollatini pairs perfectly with Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks and a Rosemary Gin Fizz! Garlic Bread Chaffles, Air Fryer Ravioli, or Mozzarella Sticks would also be easy kid-friendly side dishes for cheese lovers! Air Fryer Asparagus, Zucchini with Parmesan, or an Easy Wedge Salad would be great vegetable sides to consider as well.
Storage & Reheating
- FRIDGE: Prepped, uncooked chicken rollups can chill in the fridge up to 3 days before baking. If already cooked, allow leftover chicken to completely cool, then store in an airtight container up for 3-4 days.
- FREEZER: Prepped, uncooked chicken rollups can be frozen up to 6 months if wrapped multiple times in plastic wrapped, then stored in a freezer bag with all the air sucked out. Thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking. If already cooked, allow leftover chicken to completely cool, then wrap multiple times in plastic wrap, store in a freezer bag, and eat within 3 months for best taste and texture.
- REHEAT: If frozen, allow to thaw overnight in the fridge. For crispiest results, reheat in the air fryer (300 degrees, 3-6 minutes) or oven (325 degrees, 8-12 minutes). For quickest results, microwave in 1-minute blasts at 50% power until heated through.
If you love this Chicken Rollatini Recipe, you’ll love these impressive chicken dinners:
- Mushroom Chicken – This one-pan meal is incredibly easy and comes together quickly. It can easily be paired with mashed potatoes or cauliflower for a classic, healthy dinner.
- Oven-Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu – This classic, impressive meal will be a huge hit at your next dinner party! This is the original chicken roll up!
- Keto Chicken Skillet with Bacon Cream Sauce – This is a great weeknight recipe that can come together quickly with minimal effort! The creamy sauce goes well with tons of veggies as well.
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast – A creamy, spicy filling ensures that your chicken is super juicy, flavorful, and never overcooked. This recipe is quick in the air fryer!
- Lemon Parmesan Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner – This is an easy recipe that feeds a crowd. Tender chicken thighs and baby potatoes are spruced up with fresh herbs for a fresh, juicy meal.
Chicken Rollatini FAQs
Yes, this recipe can easily be made keto and low carb! Replace breadcrumbs with pork rind panko–Every ounce of pork rinds can be processed into about 1 cup of keto “breadcrumbs.” With this substitute, each chicken rollup comes in under 2 net carbs.
Yes, we chill the chicken rollatini to help the chicken keep its shape. Without the chilling time in the plastic wrap, you may find the chicken unrolls and comes undone in the oven. If you skip the chilling time after breading, you may find the breading comes off and struggles to stick to the chicken.
This is a versatile recipe that you can easily adjust according to your preferences! Replace the pepperoni and mozzarella with salami and provolone or prosciutto and gruyere for tasty variations.
For the Chicken
- 2 large chicken breast
- 8 slices large deli-style pepperoni
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (such as Sargento, not fresh mozzarella)
For the Breading
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs or pork rind panko if keto
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken lengthwise, as if you are butterflying, but cut all the way through. This will give you four thinner chicken breasts. Place plastic wrap over the chicken and beat with a meat mallet until the chicken is 1/4” thick.
- To assemble the chicken top each thin breast with two slices of pepperoni and one slice of cheese. Use toothpicks as needed.
- Cut 4 12”x12” squares of plastic wrap. Place one chicken breast on one square of plastic wrap and roll the chicken breast and very tightly. Secure in plastic wrap. Repeat until all chicken has been rolled.
- Place the chicken bundles in the fridge and allow them to chill for 1 hour.
- Set up two breading stations. One bowl will contain the beaten eggs. The second bowl will contain breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Unwrap the chicken, roll it in the eggs, and then in the breading. Make sure the chicken is coated well.
- Place the chicken in the freezer for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. This will help ensure the coating stays on the chicken.
- Place the breaded chicken in a greased oven-safe dish and spray the chicken roll ups with olive oil. Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes until it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.