This hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup requires no chopping! This easy chicken soup is a cinch to throw together and perfect for even your pickiest eaters!
Who doesn’t love a hearty bowl of soup? There is nothing quite as satisfying as a piping-hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening! This recipe will be a winner in your book because it requires no chopping and no prep work! Simply add the ingredients to a pot or Dutch oven and simmer away! And just in case low and slow is more your style, I’ve provided slow cooker instructions below.
Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this soup recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make this chicken tortilla dish you will need:
- Chicken: boneless skinless chicken breasts are used in this recipe, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs, tenderloins, or a whole rotisserie chicken that you’ve pulled off the bone.
- Canned Goods: the star of the show in this recipe is a mix of 6 basic canned goods you probably keep on hand! You will need canned black beans, pinto beans, corn, crushed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chilies, and green chilies.
- Taco Seasoning: a 1-ounce store-bought package, or this homemade version.
- Chicken Broth: use a good quality stock, remember, a soup is only as good as the broth you use!
- Lime: you will need the juice from one lime for this recipe, but I suggest grabbing a few extras and serving this soup with lime wedges!
- Corn tortillas: of course, how could you make chicken tortilla soup without the tortillas?
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is made in a few super simple steps! I’ve documented the entire process below so you can see exactly how easy this recipe is!
Add the Canned Goods
You will need a 4-6 quart pot or dutch oven for this recipe. I have a 4 quart and it does fill it quite full, so keep that in mind when choosing your size. Add the canned beans, corn, tomatoes, and green chilies to the pot.
Add Chicken, Spices, and Broth
Add the uncooked chicken breasts right on top of the canned goods along with the taco seasoning. Pour the broth into the pot as well.
Bring to a Simmer
Heat the pot to medium-high heat. Once the soup begins to boil reduce the heat to low and add the lid to the pot. Allow the soup to simmer 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark check the chicken and if it shreds easily it is done.
Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pot and stir well.
The final steps before serving is to add the juice of one lime to the soup and add the corn tortillas! You can add soft corn tortillas that have been cut into strips or you can fry the tortillas in oil until crispy if you prefer! The choice is completely up to you and both options are delicious!
Store any soup leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days. Just be sure to store the corn tortillas separately. You want to add the tortillas directly to each bowl versus the entire pot or they will dissolve and compromise the taste and texture of the dish.
- To reheat unfrozen soup microwave in 30-second increments until warm, or reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- To reheat frozen soup remove the soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight. Follow the directions above.
Slow Cooker Option
Can this soup be made in a slow cooker? Definitely! Simply add all of the ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker. Secure the lid and cook the soup on low for up to 8 hours, or high for up to 4 hours. Once the chicken is tender remove it from the slow cooker and shred. Add the chicken back to the soup and stir well.
FAQs about Chicken Soup
Other Chicken Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Wings: the perfect appetizer!
- Cajun Chicken Soup: this soup never ceases to impress! It is loaded with cajun flavor and is ultra-creamy!
- Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken: this is my favorite keto chicken recipe!
- One Pan Keto Green Chili Chicken: an easy skillet meal that is perfect for busy nights!
- Pesto Chicken: pan-seared chicken in a creamy pesto sauce!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8-10 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- In a large stock pot or 6-quart dutch oven add the drained pinto beans, black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes, undrained tomatoes with green chilies, and green chilies.
- Place the chicken on top of the ingredients. Add the taco seasoning and chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and place the lid on the pot and reduce to low. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred it with two forks.
- Add the shredded, cooked chicken and the juice from one lime. Stir well.
For the Tortillas
- To make the crispy tortilla strips heat a skillet and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil to medium or medium-low heat. When it is hot add the thin strips of tortillas, using tongs toss the strips and when they are brown on both sides remove them from the skillet and place them on a paper-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.