What could be better than combining buffalo chicken with Hawaiian Rolls? This Buffalo Chicken Sliders recipe is a quick, easy meal that can be served as a dinner or an appetizer at your next party or potluck!
Is Buffalo Chicken spicy?
The primary component of Buffalo Chicken is the buffalo sauce. Buffalo sauce is not the same as hot sauce while they do share most ingredients. Buffalo and hot sauce each include the primary ingredients of vinegar and cayenne pepper. Unlike hot sauce, buffalo sauce includes butter which creates a thicker sauce with a much smoother flavor. Buffalo sauce is spicy given that it still includes cayenne pepper. However, there are many bottled buffalo sauce options from mild to very hot. If needed, you can also adjust the amount of buffalos sauce you add to the recipe to increase/decrease the amount of “heat.”
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Sliders
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe scroll down. To make this Buffalo Chicken Slider recipe you will need:
- Cooked Chicken-Any cooked chicken will work. Slow cooker would be a time-saver.
- Cream cheese, melted– Used to thicken shredded chicken mix
- Buffalo sauce– There are many brand/level of “heat” varieties at most grocery stores.
- Ranch dressing– Used to add flavor and thicken shredded chicken mix
- Hawaiian Rolls– Several options; We used Sara Lee Hawaiian buns and they held up really well.
- Mozzarella Cheese:- Great flavor combo with the buffalo sauce
- Unsalted butter– Sliders are brushed with melted butter to create perfectly toasted bun.
- Parsley– Garnish for the buns; It makes them beautiful and adds a hint of flavor.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Make the Filling
In a large bowl, mix together the melted cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing until smooth. It is important to make sure there are no lumps of cream cheese. Also, be sure the sauce is completely smooth for the best flavor and texture.
Add the Chicken
Toss the shredded chicken in the buffalo mixture, coating evenly and set aside. Remember, you can use any cooked, shredded chicken. A rotisserie chicken is a great time-saving option or this slower cooker shredded chicken recipe is great for meal prep.
Slice the Rolls
Slice your package of rolls in half horizontally (hamburger style) and set the tops of the buns aside. Separate the bottoms of the buns into 12 equal pieces (this makes it much easier to serve the sliders when they’re done cooking) and set them in the bottom of the baking dish.
Add the Buffalo Chicken and Cheese
Spread the buffalo chicken mixture over the buns evenly. Then sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the buffalo mixture, be sure you get the chicken and cheese mixture all the way to the edges so that all the sliders are completely filled. Now, place the 12 roll tops on top.
Brush with Butter
Brush with the melted butter, then sprinkle with the parsley. To make the sliders extra cheesy, you can also lightly sprinkle grated parmesan on top of the rolls.
After preheating oven at 375 degrees, Cover and bake rolls for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes to brown the tops of the buns.
These sliders are a great party food. If you’re looking for some other appetizers try these Ham and Cheese Rolls or Turkey Bacon Ranch Pinwheels. If you would like to serve the sliders as a complete meal, crispy fries and a Wedge Salad would be excellent options. A couple personal favorites would be these Air Fryer Potato Wedges or Air Fryer Carrot Fries.
Storing and Reheating
Leftovers can be stored for one day in the refrigerator, after that they get pretty soggy. Heat leftovers up in the microwave in 30 second increments until warm.
Tips & Tricks
- I used Sara Lee Hawaiian buns for this recipe and they hold up really well with all the moisture in the sliders.
- Separating the bottoms of the sliders before adding the chicken mixture is optional, but I highly recommend it. It’s very difficult to serve the sliders neatly if you don’t do this.
- I used rotisserie chicken for this recipe but you can use any chopped or shredded chicken. Slower cooker chicken is another great time-saving option.
- Feel free to use different cheeses, like pepper jack, cheddar, or even crumbled bleu cheese instead of mozzarella cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders FAQ
No, not if prepared exactly as listed in the recipe. However, you can substitute the Hawaiian Rolls with a GF option such as the Schar ciabatta rolls, baguettes, English muffins, or hamburger buns.
They are mildly spicy, but level of “heat” can easily be increased/decreased by choosing a bottle of Buffalo sauce that reflects your preferred level of “heat.”
Yes, these can made up to one day in advance.
Yes, a BBQ sauce or pesto sauce would be other flavorful options.
Other Ways to Use Leftover Chicken
- Chicken Tacos-This is the BEST Chicken Taco Recipe you’ll find! Enjoy juicy, tender chicken in a spicy sauce with melty cheese and a crispy corn tortilla.
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet– This easy Jalapeño Popper Chicken Skillet is a satisfying cheesy, low carb casserole! At under 3 net carbs per serving this will be a new favorite!
- Keto Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Peppers– These easy Keto Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Peppers are about one net carb each! A great low carb, healthy dinner or snack under 5 net carbs per serving!
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup– This creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe is the perfect comfort food! Tender chicken is paired with vegetables and gnocchi for a hearty, healthy meal!
- Chicken Fajita Soup– This delicious Chicken Fajita Soup is full of flavor and under 7 net carbs! Tender veggies, a spicy broth, and juicy chicken make this the BEST soup this season!
Other Appetizer/Party Options
- Keto Lil Smokies-uses the crock pot for a no-fuss appetizer. Under 4 carbs for this classic potluck and party favorite!
- Taco Chaffle Bowl-Seasoned taco meat, cheese, lettuce and sour cream are combined in a crispy Chaffle Bowl for less than 3 net carbs!
- Garlic Parmesan Wings-Baked or air fried for an easy chicken appetizer that is naturally low-carb, keto friendly, and gluten free.
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings-These delicious Air Fryer Chicken Wings are crispy, low carb, and full of spicy, buttery buffalo sauce.
- Easy Italian Sausage Balls-A flavor packed, low carb, keto-friendly appetizer that is so easy to make!
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese melted
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ⅓ cup ranch dressing
- 12 Hawaiian Rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp parsley dry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and ranch dressing until smooth.
- Toss the shredded chicken in the buffalo mixture, coating evenly and set aside.
- Slice your package of rolls in half horizontally (hamburger style) and set the tops of the buns aside. Separate the bottoms of the buns into 12 equal pieces (this makes it much easier to serve the sliders when they’re done cooking) and set them in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread the buffalo chicken mixture over the buns evenly.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the buffalo mixture, then set the 12 bun tops on top.
- Brush with the melted butter, then sprinkle with the parsley.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown the tops of the buns. Slice and serve!