Learn How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot for a quick, healthy dinner! Tender chicken breasts in a low-carb cream sauce work great for busy weeknights or meal prep days.
Chicken in the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot can make any meal easier, including delicious chicken breasts! This recipe tutorial walks you through cooking juicy, tender chicken breasts, then also turning the pan drippings into a creamy parmesan sauce. If you prefer, you could skip the sauce and simply use this method to batch cook chicken for a week of meal prepping, too!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts – You’re looking for 4 medium-sized boneless, skinless breasts, all generally the same thickness preferably (so they’ll be finished at the same time). Aim for 6-8 ounces a piece.
- Italian seasoning, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Kosher salt, Crushed red pepper flakes, Black pepper – This is a great all-purpose blend that will complement the flavor of the chicken as well as nearly any side dish you choose to pair with this recipe. You could swap this blend out for your favorite seasoning mix.
- Olive oil, Chicken broth, Dry white wine – The oil is used for searing the chicken, but you could use avocado oil or another cooking oil if you prefer. The broth and wine add loads of flavor to the chicken. You could use water or additional broth to replace the wine if you don’t have any. For amazing flavor, use a homemade chicken stock.
- Grated parmesan, Heavy cream – This is the last step, and these ingredients create a velvety smooth, cheesy sauce. I don’t recommend any substitutions for the heavy cream as the thickness creates the perfect texture.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
This is an easy recipe, and all steps take place in the Instant Pot. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating this juicy chicken dinner.
Season & sear chicken
In a small bowl, combine the spices and sprinkle them on each side of the chicken breasts. Turn on the sauté function on the Instant Pot, then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once shimmering and hot, add the seasoned breasts and sear for about 2 minutes on each side. Once golden brown (but not cooked all the way through), remove from pressure cooker and set aside.
Turn off the sauté function, then add the chicken stock and white wine to the pressure cooker. Scrape up any pieces that have stuck to the bottom of the pot–This is extremely important. Any bites stuck on the bottom can cause a burn message during the cooking cycle!
Place the trivet in the pot over the liquid, then top with the chicken breasts. Add the breasts side by side in a single layer; do not stack them on top of one another. Secure the lid, then pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
Once the cycle ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Finally, manually release remaining pressure and carefully open the lid. Remove the chicken and the trivet from the pot (careful, that metal trivet is hot!).
Turn on the saute function again, then bring the pan drippings and liquid in the pot to a boil. Allow the mixture to reduce by half, leaving between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of liquid in the pot. Stir in the grated parmesan and heavy cream, then continue to stir as the cheese melts and the mixture thickens.
Finally, add the chicken back to the pot and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Check the chicken with a meat thermometer and remove once the largest one has reached 165 degrees F in the center.
What to serve with chicken breasts?
This cheesy sauce is so flavorful, you can serve this dish with a simple Air Fryer Broccoli or Roasted Asparagus, maybe with a Three-Cheese Keto Biscuit to sop up remaining sauce. Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (or Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower if you’re low carb) would be perfect with this chicken as well. A Rosemary Gin Fizz or Basil Whiskey Sour would be a great cocktail to pair!
If you like this chicken idea, you’ll love these easy Instant Pot chicken recipes!
- Teriyaki Chicken Thighs – These are cooked until perfectly tender and amazingly juicy in the Instant Pot! Absolutely full of flavor–YUM!
- Chicken and Rice Recipe – This is the perfect recipe when you want a classic, well-rounded meal with some chicken, rice, peas, and carrots!
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken – We love this as a great meal prep recipe; just cook once, and you’ve got meat for nachos, tacos, and more!
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken – Another great meal prep recipe or an easy way to get Sunday dinner on the table without turning on the oven!
- Instant Pot Chicken, Rice, and Mushrooms – Super filling and perfect for a “stick to your bones” kind of meal! Rice is creamy, mushrooms are tender, and chicken is beautifully juicy.
Chicken Breast FAQs
Yes, bone-in chicken breasts come out beautifully juicy in the Instant Pot, but they do require a bit more cooking time than chicken breasts. You would generally need about 10 minutes of high pressure cooking for bone-in chicken breasts while boneless, skinless breasts take just 5 minutes with 10 minutes of natural release.
Yes, but the difference is sizes will likely determine if the cooking time is right for you. If you have four large boneless, skinless chicken thighs at 6-8 ounces each, you likely won’t need to change the times at all. If your thighs are smaller, you will likely want to shave off a minute or two.
If you tried a different cut or your chicken breasts are larger than 8 ounces each, you might find that your chicken is still under 165. If it’s far under, check that thee valve and sealing ring are working properly, then close the lid and pressure cook on high for another 3 minutes. If it’s just 5-10 degrees under, simply cook a bit longer in the sauce in the last step.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
- 4 medium size chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Combine the spices and sprinkle them on each side of the chicken breast. Turn the sauté function on the Instant Pot and add the 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- When the oil is hot add the seasoned breasts to the pot and sear for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and set aside.
- Turn the sauté function off and add the chicken stock and white wine to the pressure cooker. Scrape up any bits that might have stuck to the bottom of the pan. This is essential. Any dried spices stuck to the bottom can cause a burn message during the cooking cycle.
- Add the trivet to the pressure cooker over the liquid. Place the chicken breasts on the trivet (do not stack) and secure the lid.
- Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Once the cycle ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes manually release the remaining pressure and remove the chicken and trivet from the Instant Pot.
- Turn the saute function back on and boil the broth and white wine mixture. Allow the mixture to reduce by half (you will want between 1/3- 1/2 liquid left) then stir in the grated parmesan and heavy cream.
- Stir the mixture until it has thickened and the cheese is melted. Add the chicken back to the Instant Pot and cook for 2 minutes. Check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.