In only 25 minutes, you can make this delicious Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken recipe. It has an amazing sweet and savory flavor that is made even better by cooking it on the grill. Serve it as a main dish or it’s perfect for meal prepping for the week!
We’re always looking for simple recipes that are both healthy and don’t require a lot of time. This recipe checks those boxes and more!
By grilling the chicken, clean up is minimal and it only takes a couple simple steps (Plus you get that great grilled flavor). The simplicity of its preparation along with its amazing flavor will make it a staple in your summer grilling rotation.
This is also a great option if you meal prep each week. You can make this recipe at the beginning of the week or even freeze it for up to 3 months. We love to make this recipe ahead of time because the honey mustard flavor goes so well in other recipes. Dice the chicken up then use it in quesadillas, wraps, burritos, or salads just to name a few.
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken thighs (boneless/skinless): chicken breasts would also work but cooking time may slightly differ. Cook time will also vary for bone-in vs boneless cuts. Try to choose similarly sized thighs/breasts for a more consistent cooking time.
- Dijon mustard: creates the tangy honey mustard flavor
- Honey: provides that sweet honey base for the honey mustard marinade
- Avocado oil: any neutral oil will work but we recommend avocado oil for this recipe
- Mayonnaise: this thickens the marinade and helps create a more moist, juicy texture. It also helps prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill grate.
- Soy sauce: adds a savory flavor to the marinade
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt
- Lemon juice: Adds a delicious flavor twist and helps tenderize the meat
How to Make Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
In addition to the items listed above, you will need a grill and mixing bowl for this recipe. Follow our easy step-by-step guide to walk you through this easy grilled chicken recipe.
Marinate the chicken
Add all the marinade ingredients to a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade in the fridge. Then add the chicken to the marinade and allow to marinate for 4-8 hours. *Reserving some of the marinade is optional but highly encouraged. Using this reserved marinade to drizzle on top after grilling the chicken makes it especially delicious!
Grill the chicken
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Then remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the grill. Cook the chicken for 10 minutes. Then flip and grill another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Toss or drizzle the chicken with the reserved honey mustard sauce. Then it is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating Instructions: To reheat, you can cover the chicken with foil and reheat at 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes until heated through. Be careful not to warm the chicken too long or it will be too dry. You can also reheat this recipe in the microwave in 30-second increments until heated to your desired level.
- Refrigerator Storage: After allowing to cool completely, you can store the chicken in the refrigerator for update to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Freezer Storage: This recipe can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months in a freezer safe container.
Tips & Tricks
- Reserve some marinade to drizzle on the chicken after being cooked. This is an optional but important step if you want the very best honey mustard flavor from your grilled chicken.
- Marinate the chicken at least 4 hours but preferably 6-8 for the best texture and flavor of the chicken. It takes closer to 6 hours for a marinade to tenderize the meat, but requires less time if only wishing to increase the flavor.
- Utilize this chicken for multiple meals. Make this recipe ahead of time. Dice up the meat, then use it for quick, easy meals later on the week. This chicken is great for wraps, burritos, nachos, etc.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described. Ensure you use a soy sauce labeled gluten free.
Yes, you can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. See more detailed storage information above.
Yes, just keep in mind cooking time may vary with a different cut of meat. Cook to an internal temp of 165 degrees F.
Yes, just use a sugar free sweetener such as sugar free maple syrup in replacement of the honey.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Aioli– Crispy, flavorful, and cheesy—perfect for pairing with a creamy lemon aioli for dipping.
- Grilled Zucchini Mozzarella Wraps– The ultimate keto summer side dish! Each wrap contains less than 1 net carb and is perfect dipped in low carb marinara!
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries– An easy, delicious, and healthier alternative to traditional French fries. These sweet potato fries only require a few ingredients and can be ready in 20 minutes or less!
- Three Cheese Biscuits– Perfectly soft and fluffy! Each low carb biscuit is loaded with sharp cheddar, mozzarella and fresh basil for just 2 net carbs each!
- Grilled Zucchini Salad– This healthy recipe is ready in under 30 minutes, loaded with fresh mozzarella and tender veggies, and has fewer than 5 net carbs.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless/skinless
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade in the fridge. *Reserving some of the marinade is optional but highly encouraged. Using this reserved marinade after grilling the chicken makes it especially delicious!
- Add the chicken to the marinade and allow to marinate for 4-8 hours.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the grill. Cook chicken for 10 minutes, then flip and grill another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Toss or drizzle the chicken with the reserved honey mustard sauce and serve!
- Reserving the honey mustard sauce is optional but it makes it so delicious!
- Marinating is totally optional but recommended, it adds a ton of flavor!
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This chicken is great diced up in wraps or on tacos/burritos, even nachos!
- Nutrition values estimated based on 50% of marinade being absorbed by or covering the chicken.