Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad is a healthy, fresh meal with lean protein and crisp veggies! This step-by-step guide will show you how to make homemade Caesar dressing and a perfect chicken salad from scratch!
There are a million ways to enjoy a delicious chicken salad. You can add crispy bacon, savory Thai dressing, or embrace all the veggies with a Green Goddess Salad! However, there is one salad that never disappoints: a crisp Caesar Chicken Salad! This salad is my go-to because it has basic ingredients that I always have on hand. The homemade dressing keeps well in the fridge so you can enjoy the leftovers for lunch! It also makes a great dipping sauce for grilled veggies!
Ingredients for Chicken Caesar Salad
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make this healthy chicken salad recipe you will need:
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs work for this recipe.
- Olive Oil: this is used to help the spices adhere to the chicken. You can use another neutral oil such as avocado oil if you wish.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Lettuce: specifically, romaine lettuce. However, if you prefer a different variety or a combination of romaine and another type of lettuce that works too.
- Tomatoes: Grape or cherry tomatoes are perfect for this salad.
- Croutons: homemade or store-bought croutons will work in this recipe. You can find directions on how to make croutons from scratch below. Hint: it is SO easy and so worth it!
- Parmesan Cheese: a good quality freshly grated aged parmesan works best in this recipe.
Ingredients for Caesar Dressing
To make homemade Caesar dressing you will need: mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, Worcestershire sauce and parmesan.
What is a Caesar Salad?
Caesar Salad rose to popularities in the 1920s, it was created by an Italian immigrant named Caesar Cardini. The salad is known for its tangy signature dressing that usually contains fresh lemon, garlic, eggs, anchovies, and parmesan. Over the years the salad has evolved but the result is the same: a simple, satisfying, and refreshing salad.
How to Make Caesar Salad Dressing
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and set aside.
How to Make Chicken Caesar Salad
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a grill or grill pan to to cook the chicken. Below you will find the step by step guide to make the perfect healthy salad recipe.
Season the Chicken
In a large bowl, toss the chicken in garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning and set aside.
Grill the Chicken
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through and the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Set aside on a plate and allow to cool. Once cooled, slice the chicken.
Assemble the Salad
In a large bowl toss the lettuce in the caesar dressing. Be sure the lettuce is covered nicely so that every single bite is loaded with flavor! Next, top the salad with sliced chicken, tomatoes, and croutons. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese shavings.
This salad is a complete meal on it’s own. However, it is excellent served with crusty bread, a Cheesy Roll, or Garlic Toast! Remember, this salad is easy to customize so you can add any other vegetables you have on hand if needed.
Once a salad has been dressed it is best served and eaten immediately. However, if you store the components separately these ingredients can last up to 3 days stored in the refrigerator.
Tips & Tricks
- The caesar dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make the chicken and dressing ahead of time for easy meal prep!
- This dressing is free of anchovy, but ¾ tsp anchovy paste can be added if desired.
- Note that I used freshly shaved parmesan cheese for the salad topping, but grated parmesan cheese for the dressing.
- For a super creamy dressing, use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the dressing ingredients together.
Caesar Salad FAQ
Yes. This recipe works
To make a small batch of homemade croutons take two slices of bread and cut them into cubes. Toss the bread in 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil. Spinkle the croutons with 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 and 1/4 teaspoon flakey salt. Bake the croutons at 400 degrees F, tossing every 5 minutes for a total of 10-15 minutes until they are golden and crisp. Remember, they will continue to crisp as they cool.
This dressing is free of anchovy, but ¾ tsp anchovy paste can be added if desired.
Healthy Salad Recipes
- Green Goddess Salad: a fresh, flavorful salad loaded with grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and homemade herb dressing.
- Asparagus and Mozzarella Salad: this cold salad features fresh tomatoes, avocado, and asparagus in a lemon vinaigrette.
- Simple Arugula Salad: a simple side salad with brown butter dressing.
- Spring Salad with Chicken: this is the perfect way to use leftover chicken!
- Greek Chickpea Salad: my favorite salad for meal prep!
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced/halved
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 chicken breasts butterflied if large
- 2 tbsp oil divided
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken in garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through and the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Set aside on a plate and allow to cool. Once cooled, slice the chicken.
- Toss the lettuce in the caesar dressing, then top with chicken, tomatoes, and croutons. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese shavings. Serve!