You’ll love this Chicken Taco Crescent Ring at your next party! Creamy chicken, green chilis, and shredded chicken inside a flaky crescent roll crust makes for an easy, filling appetizer, lunch, or dinner.
Taco Crescent Ring
Crescent ring recipes are kid-friendly, easy, and great for get-togethers! The flaky ring filled with creamy, flavorful chicken can be cut into 16 slices for a great handheld appetizer or meal. This simple recipe is a huge crowd favorite for a reason!
This recipe uses the delicious Green Chili Chicken for the filling. This easy meal prep recipe can be made up to 4 days in advance and left to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to cook the ring. It is SO flavorful, you’ll love it anyway you can eat it!
Leftovers can be frozen and reheated for easy meal planning. These travel well in lunchboxes for an easy leftover lunch, too. If you love this one, you should try the Chicken Bacon Ranch Crescent Ring!
Chicken Taco Ring Ingredients
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Crescent Roll Dough – Each can of Pillsbury Crescents can be separated into 8 dough squares. If you only have the Pillsbury dough sheets, cut it into four squares, then slice those squares in half diagonally for the right size triangles. You may need to stretch these a bit as the dough sheet can sometimes be a bit thicker than the crescents at first.
- Shredded Cheese – I used a Mexican blend, but your favorite shredded cheese will work. Colby jack, pepper jack, even cheddar will work well. Avoid cheeses that don’t melt well like cotija or queso fresco.
- Green Chili Chicken – This is a slow cooker chicken with a ton of flavor. You only need chicken, green chilis, taco seasoning, and softened cream cheese.
Pro Tip: The Green Chili Chicken needs to be cold when forming the crescent ring, so make it ahead of time and chill until ready to cook. We like to put it in the slow cooker before bed, shred it in the morning, then leave it in the fridge until it’s time to get ready for dinner.
How to make a chicken taco crescent ring
This recipe is very simple, but it does include several steps. Here’s a guide to show you how to perfect each part of this crescent ring process.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine your chilled green chili chicken and shredded cheese. Fold the cheese into the mixture until well incorporated.
Arrange crescent dough
Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Unroll the dough and separate it into 16 individual triangles. Form a ring with the dough, leaving a 5-6″ circle in the middle. The dough will overlap, creating a sturdy base for the ring.
Scoop the chicken mixture onto the ring, mounding it up and molding it as if it’s a donut. Wrap the dough inward to partially cover the filling, then tuck any excess under the base. Continue this with all pieces until the ring is wrapped.
You don’t need to worry about the chicken filling peaking through. The crescents will still be able to contain it.
Bake the taco crescent ring for 20-25 minutes and remove it from the oven when the top is a lovely golden brown. Check the dough on the inner ring near the base–This part is the thickest, so if it looks cooked through, you are ready to remove from the oven.
Allow the ring to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. If you slice it right out of the oven, the creamy chicken mixture will run out and cause a mess.
Make sure the ring is completely cool before you put it in any closed container–Any heat will turn into condensation which will make the crust soggy. Store the cooled pieces in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.
Once completely cooled, wrap the ring in multiple layers of plastic, then store in a freezer bag. To save space, cut the ring into four equal pieces before wrapping, bagging, and freezing.
If frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and heat for 15-20 minutes covered. You can microwave it, but the crust can become soggy. Air frying can also work, but it does dry out the filling a little bit.
If you love this taco ring, you’ll love these other chicken appetizers
- Garlic Parmesan Wings – Absolutely bursting with flavor and oh so crispy! These are exactly what you want for game day.
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Potatoes – These twice baked potatoes have your favorite flavors in an easy appetizer form!
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets – So kid friendly, so easy, and so addictive! These are low carb and gluten free.
- Keto Green Chili Chicken Taquitos – Enjoy 3 of these ridiculously cheesy taquitos for just 0.5 net carbs!
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders – You’ll be everyone’s favorite with these cheesy, flavorful mini sandwiches!
Chicken Taco Crescent Ring
- 2 cans Pillsbury crescents
- 1 recipe Green Chili Chicken chilled. See notes for shredded chicken substitution.
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unroll crescent dough and separate into 16 triangles. Place them on a lined baking sheet, forming a sun shape. The triangles will overlap, creating a sturdy base for your chicken filling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your green chili chicken and your shredded cheese. Once well combined, spoon onto the crescent dough. Mound up the chicken, forming a circle.
- Fold the points of the crescent triangles over the chicken filling and tuck the excess underneath the dough. Continue until dough is wrapped around the entire ring. Some chicken filling will still be peaking through; this is perfectly fine.
- Bake the chicken taco crescent ring for 20-25 minutes and remove when the top is a nice golden brown and cooked through. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing so that the filling doesn’t spill out.