Asian Chicken Kabobs are a healthy dinner recipe that is ready in a flash! The homemade marinade contains orange juice, savory sesame seed oil, and a dash of garlic and ginger!
These Asian Chicken Kabobs are a fun, fresh spin on classic Grilled Chicken Kabobs! This recipe features a homemade marinade with notes of sweet oranges and rich sesame seed oil! You can make these kabobs as I did, with meat only, or add some of your favorite vegetables! This is an easy dinner that everyone will love!
Chicken Kabob Ingredients
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe scroll to the recipe card.
- Chicken: any boneless cut of chicken will work. Chicken breasts or thighs are excellent options.
- Orange juice: you can use bottled or freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Soy sauce: La Choy is gluten-free, you can also use coconut aminos if you prefer.
- Toasted sesame oil: this is the essential ingredient! Do not substitute this for another oil; sesame oil’s rich flavor makes this dish very special!
- Chili garlic sauce: this adds a little bit of heat to the dish.
- Minced Garlic: freshly minced garlic is best.
- Ginger: freshly peeled and grated ginger, not dried ginger.
How to Make Chicken Kabobs
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need skewers or kabob sticks for this recipe. You can use metal or wood, just be sure if you use wooden skewers you soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. If you skip this step the skewers will likely catch fire during the cooking process.
Make the Marinade
Add the orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic, and ginger to a small jar and secure the lid tightly. Vigorously shake the jar until the ingredients are completely combined.
Marinate the Chicken
Add the cubed chicken to a large plastic bag or marinating dish. Add almost all of the marinade to the chicken. Reserve a small amount, about two tablespoons, for brushing on the chicken while it is cooking. Close the bag and marinate the chicken for at least one hour, or up to 24 hours. Remember, the longer it sits the more flavorful your chicken will be.
Thread onto Kabobs
If using wooden kabobs fill a 9×13 dish with 1 inch of water and soak the skewers for at least 20 minutes. You may need to place something on top of them so they are fully submerged. This step is essential because if the wooden skewers are dry they will burn as they cook. Alternatively, you can use metal kabobs that require no prep work and are reusable!
Once the kabobs have been properly prepped thread the chicken onto the skewers. Leave enough room at the ends that you can easily place and remove them from the grill without accidentally pulling any chicken off.
Cook the Chicken
Heat a grill to medium-high heat, about 400 degrees F. Carefully add the kabobs using tongs and grill for 3-4 minutes. When the bottom side of the kabobs are browned brush the top with the remaining marinade and flip. Grill an additional 3-4 minutes and brush the top side with marinade. Remove the chicken from the grill when it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Serve these skewers hot from the grill with grilled orange wedges and Yum Yum sauce! I usually serve this alongside grilled vegetables for an easy dinner with minimal cleanup. It is also excellent served with Sesame Noodles or Fried Rice.
You can store grilled chicken in an air-tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you would like to make this ahead of time and sort it into preportioned lunches I recommend using these containers. Pair with rice, noodles, and veggies for a complete meal!
This chicken can be reheated in a microwave container in 30-second increments. You can also reheat in a preheated air fryer at 350 degrees F for 3-4 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
- SOAK: If using wooden skewers you must presoak them to avoid burning while cooking.
- SIZE: Be sure to cut the chicken into similar size pieces. This will ensure they finish cooking at the same time.
- CROWD: Be sure not to overstuff the skewers.
- VARIETY: Add vegetables or orange slices to the skewers for a fun variation!
- BRUSH: Use the reserved marinade to brush on the grilled kabobs. This adds extra flavor and ensures they are super juicy!
Chicken Kabob FAQ
Absolutely. Use a slightly thicker cut vegetable so the cooking time is similar. Some excellent options are mushrooms, zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and red onions.
Definitely, I think it is especially delicious with pork and seafood!
I prefer metal because they are reusable and do not have to soak before cooking. However, wooden or bamboo skewers will also work.
Yes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the skewers on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, turn and bake an additional 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Remember, the cooking time will vary based on how large you slice the chicken.
Other Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Green Goddess Salad: this herby salad features tons of vegetables, a homemade dressing, and juicy grilled chicken!
- Grilled Chicken with Pesto Cream Sauce: perfectly marinated and grilled chicken that is served with a homemade pesto alfredo.
- Greek Chicken Kabobs: a perfectly balanced dinner that has protein and vegetables!
- Blackened Chicken: this recipe features a homemade rub!
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- Combine the orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic, and ginger in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large plastic bag and pour almost all of the sauce over the chicken. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sauce.
- Marinade the chicken for at least one hour, up to 24 hours for the best flavor.
- When ready to cook heat your grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F)
- Thread the chunks of chicken on each skewer and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Brush with the remaining sauce each time you turn. When the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F remove them from the grill.